Many of us are looking for affordable and sustainable ways to decorate our homes in ways that minimize our impact on the environment while capturing timeless design. A few suggestions for eco-minded interior design:
• Buy local. It sounds simple, because it is. Visit the InkWell or Restyle for locally sourced items.
• Seek products from Certified B-Corps such as Uncommon Goods.
• Use natural materials such as rugs made of wool, sisal and grasses.
• Find products that are Certified Recycled, Greenguard-certified and Fair Trade.
• Choose upholstered furniture covered with performance or organic fabrics.
• Choose zero-VOC paints and formaldehyde-free furniture and cabinets.
Sustainable home decor is becoming easier to source, with an array of choices to make your space beautiful — and better for our planet.
Heather Van Eyk is a mother of two and founder of
Kalluna Interior Designs, established in 2014.